Monday, October 29, 2007

Weekend Update

Well the weekend was pretty good. Friday I went out with a German friend but ended up hanging out with some Spanish friends that I made just that night. It was generally a pretty good time but perhaps a bit too late. I had attempted to call some of my contacts prior in the day but did not have any luck contacting anyone. I did however on Friday night make friends with a Masters student studying greenhouses who was more than willing to do an interview. Now the hard part of actually setting it up.
Saturday during the day did not amount to anything to productive besides a ride down by the beach just to get some air and sun. I watched Manchester United pounce Mittalsbourgh although I do not know how it is fare with such a gap in talent but I guess that is how sports seem to work. Just look at the World Series if you want a sport closer to the US. After that my roommates came back home to watch a movie. After several different arguments on what to watch somehow we ended up watching perhaps the oddest movie I have ever seen. It was basically a silent film mixed with Claymation and real actors, The Adventures of Tom Thumb. It lasted an hour and as odd and fucked up as it was....it was actually not too bad and kept my full and screwed eyes fixated to the screen for the full one hour. After the movie we went for sushi and found out how typical Spaniards think going out for sushi is. Actually ordering sushi is not likely and instead tempura, fried rice, and spring rolls are more likely. Also none of the Japanese beer for sale here was made in Japan....just a odd side note.
After returning to the house for a cocktail with the roommates I headed for La Cueva to catch a blues/rock band from Granada. Unfortunately by the time I got there only three songs remained. Although the lead was not Janis Joplin, she did a damn good job, certainly being Spanish speaking as well. The main guitarist was quite good and fit the bill with long hair and a mustache. Perhaps the best in the band was the German looking keyboardist jamming out for every song. Once the concert was over I hung out with my Spanish professor, her boyfriend, friend, and sister. At about 2 I was introduced to a guy from Costa Rica.
In addition to names being introduced I was labeled an "American" and said that I had visited Costa Rica several times when I was younger. Then came a conversation of spanglish in which he ridiculed the American people for not actually caring about the people of Costa Rica and instead liking the idea of cheap land to grab up. Although I agree with what he is saying it was a pretty intense conversation for 2am on a Saturday. But it goes to show the dark shadow we have shed across the world as a imperial power that does not care about the people and instead about how we can make more money. After 45 min of the conversation I was ready for bed.
Sunday I headed with one of my roommates and two of her friends to San Jose. San Jose is about 40km to the east of Almeria and located on the opposite side of Cabo de Gata, the natural park. We drove to the two different beaches that people go to. Regrettably the wind was in full force today and made the weather not to productive for beach walking. The sand grains seemed to be flying through the air at unrealistic speed splintering into any bare skin. However it was quite beautiful and easy to tell that on a more tranquil day it would be lovely. The second beach I found out is where people go to practice rock-climbing because when bouldering if you fall it is into soft sand. Check out my pictures for a visual tour of the weekend.
Sunday night Almeria played Barcelona in futbol. Almeria played damn well but lost 2-0, although the second goal via a penalty shot was a horrid called penalty by the ref. Today class by myself as the girls were returning from a weekend in Morocco.

PAZ AND AMOR
Ty

No comments: