Sunday, May 13, 2007

Imanual Kant: What is Enlightenment (1784)

Interpreted by The Dude:
I can't say that I completely have a hold of it, but
basically this is how I figure it: Kant was saying
that peoples' lack of knowledge was not because they
were ignorant, but because they were too scared to
know. They feel comfortable being in a groove, letting
people tell them what to think, how to act, etc. The
only way for society to become 'enlightened' is if the
people in power allow that to happen, and that's why
religious leaders are not good for society. It's a
conflict of interest, and they don't encourage
learning, but instead dictate that their people follow
without questioning. What is necessary is that the
leader is confident enough in his power to allow
people to argue about his policies, but nevertheless
obey him.
So, there it is, dude. I don't know how accurate my
interpretation was, but that's basically what I got
from reading it, in a nutshell. Good shit. Later.

No comments: