Saturday, July 08, 2006

Ok so I guess no body can have a adventure without some sort of stress filled evening/night. Yesterday, I walked around Bucharest with four Brittish lawyers I had met in Brasov. We wandered the city untill be got to the peoples palace and a beer festival with the cheapest beer I have ever seen (55 cents for .5l). Soon it was time for me to make my way back to the hostel to get my bags and catch the train. We walked for about 40 min to the point where we could finally catch the right bus to the hostel. I said my goodbyes and headed out with about 40 min of spare time at the train station. I got to the station and could not find the train anywhere on the timetables so I headed to the info desk to figure out what happended. The train had left 45 min earlier, so I instatnly went into a panic. SOme Romaninan (with obvious arab or gypsy in him) said he could take me to Guigli, the border town with Bulgaria to catch the train. This seemed like kind of a sketchy sitiuation but I really did not know what else to do. Soon I was raceing down the streets of Bucharest in a late 80s ealry 90s car, swearving through traffic. Soon we stopped for a ATM, where he told me how much it would be.........500 Lei (150 bucks or so). I knew that I was probally getting ripped off but it was a 45 min drive. So the next stop was at a generic gas station to fill up and then back to speeding. Generally the speed limit was 40-60 kph and he was driving 80-110kph. By the time we arrived there, I had lost all hope and was contemplating walking to the border, tying a brick around my legs and jumping intop the Danube. Thankfully, the Romanian border check takes a long time and the train was still there. It took about 20min more as mosqutios sucked the last of my pumping blood untill I got on to the train and into my sleeper. A short nap and we arrived at the Bulgarian border check. Fianlly it was back to sleep or at least in and out of sleep untill about 545, as we approched Sofia. I have made it the hostel but have not eaten a meal in two days, and my stomach is aceing for food. The hostel is very nice and deffinetly the cheeapest yet. Bulgarian is impossible to read because they use a different alphabet. All for now, a worn out TY singing out.

No comments: