Friday, August 08, 2008

An agricultural Waterloo
Globalization failed, cheap oil is gone, local production is the only way forward
Posted by Jim Goodman

Bigger is always better, isn't it? Big cars, big houses, big businesses, big farms. If you were big, you made more money. Clearly, that is the way of the world. When Europeans colonized the Americas, they wanted more land -- not some of it; all of it. Napoleon wanted more land. Nothing stopped him until Waterloo.

So, do you think that the human race, has reached its Waterloo? Have we finally hit the wall with our never-ending desire for "bigness"? I decided years ago that I didn't want my farming operation to get bigger. I liked milking 45 cows, raising their feed and doing a little direct marketing.

I liked being small. "Hopelessly behind the times," I was told. Local cheese makers were giving up; local meat processing was a thing of the past. Small farming was dead. The developing world couldn't feed itself and needed industrial farming systems. Who could argue with the Green Revolution? Until the current food crisis. Not so much a shortage of food but a shortage of cheap food.

LINK TO CON.

No comments: