Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rocky Mountain Brewing (RMB) in Anaconda, Montana. The theme of this brewery was America and fortunately, American beer is not as bad as RMB. The stout, porter, and honey brown were quite sour and some of worst brewery beer I have had. The atmosphere reminded me of a Chiles or Applebees that brewed beer. The American theme was taken a little too far and I was somewhat surprised not to find freedom fries on the menu (although the French dip was called an American dip). I give them one toe out of five.
Quarry Brewing LLC (QB) is in Butte, Montana. Quarry is located in Uptown Butte in a fantastic old warehouse building that is only marked by white lettering on red bricks. The atmosphere inside was nice and we had the pleasure to be served by the brewer who was more than informative and hospitable. The brewer had a great ideology on providing quality micro beer to a local community and seemed (at least for now) to be uninterested in expanding nation or even statewide. The beer was decent and I think that this place has a lot of potential. I give them three out of five toes.
Madison River Brewing (MRB) or Mad River is in Belgrade, Montana and eight miles from Bozeman. MRB had a surprisingly small taproom located in a warehouse where they brew beer. With Bob Marley pumping from the speakers, dogs’ roaming around, free popcorn, and a local feel, MRB’s atmosphere is a top in atmosphere. The beer mug club had hand blown glass mugs, which was a nice change to the generic glass mug. The Hop juice IPA and Hopper Pale Ale were both fantastic and the Oatmeal stout was ok. And for asking nice the bartender gave me a free sticker. I give MRB four toes and a stub toe out of five.
Bozone Brewing (BB) is in Bozeman, Montana. Bozone had a nice atmosphere, two very friendly and eager to inform servers, and free popcorn with flavoring powders. The beer at Bozone was ok, the amber was easy to drink but a bit plain for me, the porter was smooth and the best of what I tried, while the other beers were not that impressive. Unfortunately, they did not have their award winning IPA, which could have changed my opinion on their beer. BB did provide a free taster tray without us asking, which was nice. I give them three out of five toes.
Lone Peak Brewing (LPB) is located in the Meadows of Big Sky, Montana. LPB offers a small menu with ok, basic pub fare. Shuffleboard adds to the atmosphere. The beer was pretty tasty and generally solid but prices were all a bit more pricier then others, because of its location in Big Sky. I give them three toes and a stub out of five.

1 comment:

don said...

The Anaconda Brewing Company - yuck! I tried several of the beers on tap. Finally settled on a pint of the porter - somwhow I thought it might improve in a bigger glass - a mistake. Then another mistake - I took home a growler of the "Goose" beer. After trying to acquire a taste for it I poured the rest down the drain. Of the beers I tried I thought they had a "sour" taste as if unfinished, raw. And a bit pricey - I'm not sure what the growler cost but $16.50 for a pint, root beer and growler - c'mon.