Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Lewis and Clark Brewing (LCB) is located in Helena, Montana. Just a quick disclaimer: I was unaware that the taproom was located downstairs (where they offer free tasters), so instead I tried beer and ate food upstairs in the restaurant/bar. If you skip the marginal food and full beer and wine bar above and go straight to the downstairs taproom, you will be in better shape. The beer was ok; the award winning IPA had been changed because of the hop shortage. From what I saw I give them two toes and a stub out of five, but I feel like that would have gone up would I have gone downstairs.
Blackfoot River Brewing (BRB) is in Helena, Montana. Blackfoot is a small taproom offering four beers on tap. The BRB Single Malt IPA is the best IPA I have had so far in Montana with Hop Juice second. The brewery has a local feel, friendly staff, and cheap pints. Four out of five toes.
Great Northern Brewery (GNB) is in Whitefish, Montana. GNB was pretty basic both beer wise and atmosphere wise. The IPA was average at best and the ESB was quite poor. I give them two toes.
Lang Creek Brewery (LCB) is located on a large ranch in a green valley surrounded by national forest and Plum Creek forestry land. The closest city would be Marion, although Marion its self is hardly a town. I must say that all good things come to those who wait, are final stop Lang was the best. Once off the paved road, you make your way down a washboard gravel road, wandering if you are being tricked into some Montana deliverance scene when whala! a beautiful green valley with a brewery! The quality control manager (gets to taste beer to make sure it is ok) gave us an informative tour of the small facility and then went through all the beer they had on tap (history and all the info you could want) and a few they did not (in bottles). All the beer were great, even some of the kinds I do not normally like. The IPA was out, but for the "hop heads”, they have an Imperial Pilsner Ale. I give them my award as best (that I have been to) brewery in Montana and five out of five toes.

No comments: