Sunday, October 08, 2006

Reading for Radicals
Travel Guide for the Intellectual Explorer
There are millions of books, magazines and movies available to the curious mind.
To save you from wasting your time reading bad books or watching awful movies,
I've pulled together a listing of some of the most accessible and insightful material
available in history, psychology and other important topic areas.

Psychology/Human Nature/Society


History/Politics

Audio/video:

____________________________________

Economics/Globalization

Crime/Justice

Audio/video:

____________________________________

Science/Ecology

Audio/video:

Activism/Social Change:


____________________________________

Some Cool Tunes
(to listen to while you're reading)
  • “World on Fire” by Sarah McLaughlin
  • “Oh My God” by Michael Franti and Spearhead
  • “Right here, right now” by Jesus Jones
  • “Pride (One)” by U2
  • “The World I Know” by Collective Soul
  • “Every State Line” by Ani Difranco
  • “Mother” by Pink Floyd
  • “Imagine” by John Lennon
  • “We Didn't Start the Fire” by Billy Joel
  • “Saltwater” by Julian Lennon
  • “Gulf War Song","River Valley” by Moxy Fruvous
  • "World Falls" by Indigo Girls
  • “Learn to fly” by Foo Fighters


Who made this list and why?
This list was made by me (Matt Howes) with help from other professional activists and various friends. An MIT graduate in environmental engineering, I've worked for the American Civil Liberties Union and Media Matters. A self-confessed bookworm, I've also travelled a great deal (including ten months in China) and done internships with the Worldwatch Institute, a leprosy hospital in eastern India, and the United Nations Environment Program in Nairobi, Kenya.

I've spent a lot of time reading bad books. To save other progressives time, I compiled this list
and will continue to evolve it as I find more great books -- by stumbling onto them on my own or thanks to recommendations. Have a suggestion or comment? Click here to email me.

No comments: